not going over 4k revs

J

JohnyB

Background
Put the vta dv back on today,loosed the nut at the top of the valve buy 1 turn to soft from hard, tightened up everything else, noticed there is a lot of oil under the tmic……worrying.

Tonight
It normally idles around 1 to 1.5 when cold then drops to about 800 –900 all normal, tonight she dropped down to 500 and stayed there, went for a spin out the road to a quiet place and gave it a bit of a squirt, felt a bit ropey in 3rd @3.5 - 4K changed to 4th would not go over 4k felt like the car was juddering (if that makes any sense), changed up to 5th still no better, when accelerating I could hear what sounded like air being pushed out from the dv. Backed well off down to about 2.5K @ this staged had vision of a big bang and a long walk home..
All the gauges read normal oil press and temp was fine and she was not losing any boost…
Got home parked the car up and could smell burning oil...

Going to get it into a garage tomorrow, just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on what might be wrong has anyone every come across this before….

Cheers
John

Sounds as if the ECU has gone into safe mode :dunno:

Have you tried putting the standard DV back on and then re-setting the ECU?

Alan.

no going to swap it back in the morning, this did not happen the last time the dv was on,so I dont know. will try resetting the ecu though, still going to have to drop it in for a check up, thanks for the advice
John

Would sound like the valve is inorrrectly fitted or the piston is being lifted by boost pressure.

John

thanks the mechanic cannot take it until tomorrow night, should have it back Wednesday night
"the piston is being lifted by boost pressure."
could that be caused by adjusting the bolt at the top of the valve, and how would that effect the revs ?
I did not rest the ecu, because knowing my luck the :angry: engine would fall out :)

If the piston is lifting when the engine is making boost, it will leak, thus no boost pressure registering at the engine. You can possibly here it leak when accelerating hard.

John

Back