Legacy RX what to do??

L

LegacyRX

Hi Guys I haven't been on here in over year but hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a 2001 Legacy 2.5RX with 110k miles on the clock the grearbox is acting up i.e. finding it hard to get into drive, sometimes I have to rev it to 4000rpm before it will kick into gear, no problem getting reverse. The timing belt also needs its second changed .

So I think the question is do I get the box rebuild and get the timing belt done cost over €1,500 I’d guess and hope the car will run for another 100k miles without much hassle or do I sell it for scrap and start again, I really like the car and I have seen the very same model for sale for €2,500 may I should buy that and use that box and keep the second one for spares ??

Any guidance would be much appreciated

Timing belts don't or shouldn't cost that much. :ponder2:

I would have thought between €650 - €750 would see a belt pullies and tensioner done. Not a 100% though. The traders on here will correct me on that if I am wrong.

Don't know much about the auto box but it could be sinkromesh. Again the Traders will fill you in on that more. If you PM or even ring them they will be happy to help you out with advice.

If you keep driving the car with something up with the gear box you could make a small problem worse and end up having to spend more in the end so I'd look at the Box first but you will have to get the belts done around 120,000 mile.

Hope this helps and as I said the more experianced lads will be along shortly. :thumbsup: :subaru:

http://www.gearbox-clutch.com/

These lads seem to be around tallaght and will repair a box for €600 according to their website... Are you 100% it is the box ye?

Timing belt is a rediculous charge, whoever told you that should be shot... €6-650 including labour, new belt and new tensioner... If new idler pulleys or gears are needed, then you are looking at €30-60(and thats the high side) for each one that needs to be changed...

think he meant 1500 to repair the whole lot lads!!!
as above with the belt for price.....
the box problem could be as simple as a low oil level within the box!!!!!
:ponder2: :ponder2:
A+M gearbox centre on james street is a great man to deal with...
sean is his name and he is topman with auto gearboxes in dublin IMO...
had loads of dealing with him and never let me down....
bohernabreena gearbox centre are excellent also but not sure if they deal with auto as much as automatic
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers lads, I have had a mechanic look at it and he said there seemed to some fluid coming out through the breather in the box which I can smell when in traffic but the levels have been checked regularly and are always ok? Could be reading wrong I guess I always checked when hot might try when its cold.

The 1500 was for the gearbox rebuild and timing belt but just a guesstimate. Thanks for the info I'll drop it into the Nass gearbox centre I saw on that www.gearbox-clutch.com/ as I work in Naas and see what they say, anyone know what kind of milage these cars can run for i.e. if I spend this money will the car run for much longer?

i know on some cars that the auto box has to be checked on flat ground with the engine running!!!!!
try this as this might be something to look at especially if you have a leak!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No problems with the syncromesh, as auto box dosent have any. I have done a bit of work on them, and they never need anything more than oil and filter change for the autobox. I'll bet they were never changed. If the oil hasn't been changed for a long time, do it. It can take a while to do as you can only drain the oil from the sump of the gearbox, and a lot of oil is in the cooler, valvebody, and torque converter. Change the oil, run the car through gears a few times, and do this several times, as the box holds over 8 litres, but you will only be able drain 2 litres at a time. Theres 2 dipsticks on the transmission, one for the front diff, and one for the box, don't mix these up, I've seen it before, when a garage drained the oil from the diff, and filled it with ATF, and destroyed the diff. Timing belt price you were given in a bit ridiculous.

John

Just to update I haven't driven this car in 4 months, trying to save money for gearbox rebuild and timing belt, but sadly now it appears its not worth doing, spoke to 3 people that rebuild boxes and all 3 said talking about 2,000 to 2,500 and another grand for Timing belt and the car isn't worth 3,500 so going to drive it until it blows and then scrap it I think, sad day, I loved that car

Back