Gearbox Fubarred or Turbo Or What!!!

MrMagoo

Middle Lane Hogs
Hey folks picked up my new car yesterday an my94 Classic wrx.
On the way home particularly in 5 without beven being on boost im hearing a whistling noise, now this noise gets higher as you accelerate, but it goes away the second the accelerator is released. Just wondering could this be the turbo on way out, although I do have solid boost at standard levels and no smoke and no performance drop! Or could it be a loose hose? There is No mods whatsoever on the car bar a HKS Dump Valve.

The noise is Mainly in 5th gear although sometimes can hear a lesser noise but still same in 4th, a whistle or whine noise coming from what sounds like the engine as opposed the gearbox (as im worried it could be this)

If you accelerate from any speed in 5th you get this noise and it gets higher as you go up the revs. If you release the accelerator at any point the noise goes away. No crunching into gears or anything like that. I would have thought if it was a boost leak it would happen in any gear, and have checked all the hoses and appear to be ok.

If anyone has any ideas please shout as its driving me nuts!!!

check dumpvalve and see if any pipes leading to or from it are loose or ripped is it a diaphram type dumpvalve if so the diaphram may have a small rip in it and can be replaced.failing all that bring to ur mechanic to investigate further?????

sounds like a hose,, 1st check the dump valve, but if you still have performance you should check the induction air box right back to the turbo,, the airbox may not be closed, or a pipe could be loose, thats the kind of sound you get from airflow, :thumbsup: Its not the gearbox by the sound of it,, let us know what it was in the end..

Thats a relief but here is the question! why does this mainly happen in 5th?? Ill check the hoses today but im curious to find out why this noise seems to come on in 5th gear, very strange.

No its a spring dump valve, but if it was leaking wouldnt it make this noise in every gear?? and its even making it off boost???

STRANGE

well in 4th and 5th you would be driving more consistently at the rev range it happens in, 1,2,3 you going 2500 to 4500/5500 quickly and 4th and 5th you cursing at 3000 or 4000, ,, dont think i'v any more left in me,, ask DaveLegacy his head is full of this stuff i'd say he knows now even befor you'v asked..

HMMM intersting!

If ayone else has a thought on this subject let me know, kinda afraid to drive the car because of the noise.

Many thanks

my car does this to,
i think its the normal but mine is sti.

i no i have a boost problem but i think the pill is missing from my hose.

Wouldnt that be sweet, but im not sure this noise is normal, it gts quite irritating at times, unless i whack up the radio!!

Very piculiar!

Right folks, an update, was on scoobynet!! and one of the lads said it sounds like boost build up??

The only thing I was thinking is could it be a bad connection with the boost guage, as this was the case in my last scooby when i put the gauge in first! Lets hope its as simple as this!!

Any thoughts

@ Ian Wrx

Why you think it could be this?? have you heard of them making a whining or whistle noise before? I only ask as I was driving today and in 3rd low down the revs building up it misfired?

Any thoughts or is there anyone in cork on the site I could show this to to try and sort it??

Many thanks lads

Eoin

thought it mite be a misfire giving the turbo an uneven feed of boost,, think you need to get an expert in..

mayb get ur airflow metre checked aswell i wouldnt keep driving the car untill u get it sorted you could end up haven a bigger prob if u dont it get checked soon

Back