Brakes Fade

Dubsti

Sunday Drivers
Scoobadrivers :headbanger:

Just back fro a blast over the Gap, Great fun :lol:, I noticed a couple of times I had to tap the brake pedal before I could really get some feel and stopping power, I have a 02 byg on the standard brembo kit with mintex competition pads, Have any of you come across this yourself and how did you over come this ??

Cheers Niall

I reckon its the Mintex pads, Once they have some heat in them they really start to work, Yeah I agree Anton its a super run, Yuo can really push the car and get the best of of it, Once you don't runout of talent :oops:, Its a long way down on some parts of the road.

Niall

have a 00 bug eye sti and have the same problem every so often. would love to tell you what the problem is but i don't have a clue to be honest. i think dave's suggestion might be an idea for now ha ha.

paul

You have a good brake system,i noticed a huge difference when i changed my brake fluid.(mondello park)
Try changing to motul 5.1,it has a very high boiling point,should help.
Alan

Lads i've been using Mintex for sometime now
and find them great. i have not experinced any probs like
that. But as far as i know you must use the DOT 5.1 brake fluid
as the mintex pads will generate more heat....... and maybe braided hose's
would be another good option.

The only fault i could find with Mintex is they ware quick so lot's of brake dust.

Niall.

I think i'll look into braided hoses when I get it serviced next, I'm Using 1144's, I notice some squeeling when light braking in traffic or slowing up at lights

Niall

To be honest Dave i don't know the code
but i've never experinced any squelling.

Which of the codes are the best to use ??

Niall.

hi Niall,

you have ferodo racing 5.1 fluid in it. and im sure there M1155's. when the brakes dont seem to be stopping you is the pedal hard or soft? and is it only doing it when its cold?

George

Ha!!! this could get confusing,
We have two Niall's

Niallyboy (Niall) has ferodo racing 5.1 fluid and possibly Mintex M1155's
and has no probs with same.

Dubsti (Niall) has Mintex pads but is underbraking while approaching corners .
So dubsti
when the brakes dont seem to be stopping you is the pedal hard or soft? and is it only doing it when its cold?

George

Niall.

Hi George

The Pedel seeems slightly long/soft, I reckoned it may be a heat issue, As when i tapped the pedal before hard/heavy braking it was fine,

hi Niall(dub Niall :D),

sounds like there's a little trapped air in the system from when we changed the fluid over to the ferodo 5.1 fluid. if you give me a ring and bring it down to us we can bleed the whole system to see if there's any air there.

George

Yeah will do george, I'll give ya a bell during the week

Thanks again lads for your responses :thumbsup:

Cheers Niall

i also have a 02 sti and have encountered the same problem after changing the fluid. I then got subaru to change the fluid but it still happened so i changed it again myself, i think its ok now let me know if you find anything. i noticed they clonk as well when i tap the pedal.

I was having the same problems with my 02 sti, changed the pads, now using Ferrodo DS2500's with a set of DBA disks, and the stopping power is amazing. So so progressive, and really bites when it has too. Ive had no problems with brake fade since :)

Back