Boost guage

goldenjohn

Octane Boostaholics
Lads mY GIRLFRIND GOT ME A BOOST GUAGE FOR X-MAS,
Its Auto Guage The Maker, I was wondering are they hard fit, Three wires out the back of it Red Black And yellow,
Red one is for starter i'd say, Black Earth, Yellow for lights, Where bouts is the pipes connect to the guage, Leggy B4. Anyone know If i'd be able do it myself or anyone decent too do them, Money a little bit of an issue at minute so someone not that expensive but good. I know tough ask.
Are these any good guages, I think its from halfords.
Cheers
John

howdy john......ive a blitz one in my b4 and even though i didnt install it i had a butchers to see how it was done. the wiring is straight forward like you said yellow being for illumination. from what i can see on my own yoke the vacum pipe from the gauge goes into a t piece on one of the vacum hoses going into the solinoid box. all these pipes are numbered in the solinoid box so it would be a matter of finding out what number it is and doing the junction. i would presume its the hose going to the boost solinoid but i couldnt say for sure. the hardest part will be getting the rubber hose trough the bulkhead as the engine bays in the leggs are a bit tight :hammerhead:, but there are a few grommets around the drivers area trough the firewall. if yer around dublin gimme a shout and ye can have a butchers at mine, ill be doin a few bit to my own car tomorow anyway

Ya i mite pop up too ya tomorrow, What time you think you'd be goin at it, I'll be picking up my G/F from work at 5 so i'd have too be heading at 4 the latest. If your not planning on going at anything until later in the day don't worry about it, Thank you very much for the reply. :thumbsup: Bit of karma for you sir. :thumbsup:

time depends on the baby and the weather. plan to start early around 11. ill pm you my number. as i said im not an expert but ye can have a goo at how mine was put in.

Easy job to do.

Red and yellow wire can connect together and the gauge will be lit up all the time (easy way of wiring). Black wire to Ground. Use your Ciggy lighter for power and ground.

Using the T Piece splice into a vacuum line on the manifold and run the rubber tubing through the bulk head into the back of the gauge. Job done.

when making the connection to the cigarete lighter would you splice onto the cable using the blue type crimps that bite into the cable or solder it and then use pvc tape.
i prefere soldering but only if i can get a piece of heat shrink on first

soldering would be the best way northdublin but the crimping connectors and insulating tape is just fine.

BBIIGG SSUUCCEEEESSSS :thumbsup: Big thanks too MICK aka (North Dublin) & Andy C for there help, I was able too do it on my own with the info that was given too me. Can post up pictures as i took them as i was doing it. Cheers Lads. :thumbsup: :subaru:

Big Thanks too northdublin & Andy C

Big thanks too MICK aka (North Dublin) & Andy C for there help, I was able too fit the boost gauge's on my own with the info that was given too me. Can post up pictures as i took them as i was doing it. Cheers Lads. Big Karma too the two of you.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fair play lad. ied be interested to hear what readings yer getting on your gauge. mine shows the boost going up to just below 1bar then it drops for a second cause of the vod then back up to just under 1 bar again. from what i could see on saturday my gauge is teed into hose 12. on further investigation at the solinoid box this hose was loose on the little nipple on the outside of the box so i cut it back about 5 mm and reconnected it and ive noticed my boost is a little smoother.
so stick up a few pics when ye get sorted :thumbsup:

[quote author=northdublin link=topic=11677.msg140913#msg140913 date=1231179385]
fair play lad. ied be interested to hear what readings yer getting on your gauge. mine shows the boost going up to just below 1bar then it drops for a second cause of the vod then back up to just under 1 bar again. from what i could see on saturday my gauge is teed into hose 12. on further investigation at the solinoid box this hose was loose on the little nipple on the outside of the box so i cut it back about 5 mm and reconnected it and ive noticed my boost is a little smoother.
so stick up a few pics when ye get sorted :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Is your car mapped? If not, then just under 1bar on the primary is quite high and if it is mapped then just under 1 bar sounds a bit low.. What make is the gauge you have?

no the car is not mapped and its a blitz gauge........the needle travels up to 1 but settles just under. this all happens in the blink of an eye.
also from what ive read most gauges are inaccurate, ie from brand to brand there would be slight differances. my own view is that the gauge is giving a certain reading at present, if for some reason i see it giving a differant reading ill know to start checking things

My blitz boost gauge read the exact same as the Power FC boost reading on the Commander so the Blitz gauges are very accurate.

The boost guage is reading at 0.4bar on 1st turbo and then about 0.7 - 0.8 on second turbo. And its vaccuming at 0.5 bar, Do these readings sound about right??? The car isn't mapped yet. But i've noticed that in 1st & 2nd gear its boosting at 0.7 then 4th and fifth it goes up too 0.8. Is this normal, i'd have thought that the boost should be the same through all gears or is it because its more sustained speed in 4th and fifth???

0.6 on the primary and 0.8 on the secondary is what the car came from the factory with.. It does boost slightly more in higher gears as far as i know.. If you floor it in 4th gear at 2000rpm, whats you peak boost on the primary? It should go up to 0.6 and drop to 0.4ish during changover before it climbs again

Ya thats about right so it is robbie, its in the lower gears that its 0.4bar 1st and second, 3rd be 0.5 4th 0.6 sorta goes up .1 bar with every gear.

When its remapped, they usually map them to 0.8 and 1.2bar respectively obviously depending on the individual car at the time..

Back