Check Engine

P

Paddy

I’ve a Jap import Legacy twin turbo B4 RSK 1999, tiptronic. About two months ago I fitted a Blitz free flow air filer. Car has been running fine until today. I turned on the car this morning and I had a Check Engine light and it idled for a few seconds and then cut out. If you let the revs down at all, stop at a junction etc, it will cut out, it’s awkward to keep the revs up without a clutch. If you drive in automatic mode it appear to change gears badly e.g. imaging if were changing gear and when you clutched you floored the accelerator and then changed gear, mad rev and whiplash. I put it in 3rd gear and brought it up to about 90 and the dump valve (Forge) was going mad. I’ve heard that oil from a free flow filter damaging the MAF sensor is actually a myth, but with the extra air flow that silicone form the sensor can mess itself up. So I’m wondering is it a faulty MAF, idler controller or the unlikely dump valve. I’m going to clean and lubricate the dump valve but I don’t think that it’s the problem. Can I do the same to the idlers motor or must it be replaced? I’ve heard that MAFs have to be replaced but that most MAF’s that are replaced aren’t actually faulty, misdiagnosed. I need 4 new tires ASAP, next 7 days, any advice welcome, I don’t want to spend the earth. I currently have BridgeStone 215/45ZR17.

welcome along paddy,these guys on here will surely help ya...P1 Alan is the man to talk to bout B4s,but by the sounds of it its the MAF,had mine blow twice on me,does the car still drive ok,or is she spluttery...
as for tyres do a search in the forum home page iam sure there was a topic bout tyres before :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to get to a few meets this year and meet everyone, young family and all that, I only managed the go-karting last year. I’m a technical dipshxt, Muiris (Mac) told me where to look for the possible problems.

She's a bit spluttery, I’m keep the rev up to stop her from cutting out, which would cover that up a bit. Any ideas how much a new MAF is?

Hey Paddy.

It's good to see you've finally taken the plunge and logged on!!!  :lol:

As scoobyke siad Alan is our resident B4 expert, but there's alot of guys on here that know what there at when it come to knowing about what goes on under the bonnet.
hope you get it fixed soon, And there's no need to change the car, you might go back to the darkside again ( back to the mithsi's)

:subaru:
mack

I assume your MAF would be almost like mine as your car is a 99,so id say a new MAF would cost around 100-140euro,best thing is phone donnalys subaru in the north,they usually have stock of MAFs and are alot cheaper than the south,think they will deliver to... :thumbsup:

I’m afraid my coupe day’s are over MACK (for now), 4 doors from now on, and hey, is there any four door out there that will out perform a Scooby?

Scoobyke. Would you have the number handy?

Scoobyke. Thanks a million, much appreciated, I’ll give them a buzz in the morning.

Welcome along Paddy :thumbsup:

I would be 99.9% sure it's your MAF - take my advice and go back to the standard air filter... I've had numerous conversations with people in Japan, Australia and New Zealand about the air filters and the one only thing we all agree on is the use of the standard air filter. What usually happens is the oil from the uprated air filter contaminates the MAF and results in it failing. You could do a diagonistic check to verify what the problem is but I'd nearly guarantee it's the MAF ;) and whoever told you it's a myth is a spoof :shock:

The part number is 22794AA010 :thumbsup:

You'll find my number on the home page so feel free to give me a call anytime :thumbsup:

Alan.

Oh and by the way it's a piece of piss to fit so don't go paying anyone to fit it :angry:

The MAF usually has a secure hex type bolt (has a nipple in the middle) but you can buy this style socket from any motor factor :thumbsup:

Alan.

Thanks Alan, I’ll take your advice. Looks as if the Blitz filter was an expensive waste of money? K & N have a huge library of info discounting oil from free flow filters damaging MAFs but there not exactly going to say there product f**ks up your car, I assumed Blitz to be the same.

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=422

As far as I know K&N and Green are the only two panel filters that 'shouldn't' give you trouble but I'd stick to the standard filter if I were you :thumbsup:

Alan.

Hi Paddy

If you want a hand fitting the MAF or tools for the job let me know and you can call over to work to me at work and we'll have it on in no time.

Mack

Hello and welcome Paddy. Legacy is a fantastic car. Look after a few myself and would agree with P1 Alan.

John

You already have been diagnosed with the MAF, common fault in that year, and also 98. Seem to give loads of hassle. I replaced mine twice and a friend lost count of how many times he replaced his. I dont think it really matters what aftermarket air filter you have on it, they all seem to cause it some how. Good luck with getting it fixed.

As for tyres, Goodyear Eagle F1's, ive tried loads and loads of different tyres on both my classic and my new age, and they out perform in every way for me :)

Thanks everyone for all your help. I got a new MAF off Street Performance. I ordered it over the weekend and I had it installed with the help of Mack by Tuesday Night, Thanks Mack. I asked the Subaru dealer in the North for a price on Saturday and they still haven’t got back to me.

I got a new set of BridgeStone tyres on Wednesday basically because that’s what was on it and they were €500, balanced and front tracked, Mid-West tyres in Shannon can not track a AWDs.

Thanks again everyone for your help it was much appreciated.

Paddy

We changed the Maf the night before last and It would tick over properly before he left anyway, haven't heard of any problems since so it's looking good.

mack

Back