suspension and steering.....

sti v5

Middle Lane Hogs
Im looking to improve the handeling of my car.... i want to sort out the oversteer and just get an overall better feel from the wheel. If anyone has this months total impreza mag you may have read the artical on "cost affective handeling"... it says if you intend on attending a few track days (which i hope to do next year)... that the best set up would be the likes of lowering springs, but only between 20-40mm max. Anti-roll bars, camber adjustment (anti-lift/ dive), castor adjustment (angle of the strut). And also if your car has done a fair few kms.... a new set of dampers.
Would fitting the springs and arb be enough to get a better turn in and give more feedback through the wheel?? Or should i be looking at castor/camber aswell???
all in all im looking for a good turn in and response when driving fast on track but dont want to be chewing tyres off and breaking me back when driving on b-roads... Any help appreciated :thumbsup:

get some whiteline lowering springs from proparts and then get jomo to set up your car with a bigger rear anti roll bar,front and back drop links ,anti lift kit and some new bushing ,that will sort out your understeer ,then youll only have to worry about keeping the arse of her in line

sorry forgot to say ,lowering your impreza will do nothing for understeer,imprezas and as in most four wheel drive cars suffer badly with it

and its hard to get a happy middle between track/easy on the back road use

will that make the rear very slidy???? or is it just depending on how tight you adjust the arb??? but lowering the car just a bit would give you a lower centre of gravity and therefore help it in the bends wouldnt it???? :thumbsup:

it does depend on how you set the rear arb up,but lowering the car will only stop body roll ,you will need negitive camber on the front to sort out the understeer,thats were the alk comes in,depends how fast you want to go into the corners

As above fella,fit some ALK and a ARB at the rear and you will get a better turn in....as for understeer....it will almost always be there.. :icon_evil:

and what would be the best size diametre arb to go for on a classic??? also does anyone know when the track days in mondello start back up??? is it march???

As above my freind!
It all up there!
All I have done handling wise on the forester for the track is, Max neg camber on the standard camber adjustment bolts on the front, 22mm adjustable ARB on the rear set to the tightest and lowered on Whiteline "control" springs! And she's spot on!
I would look in to wheel spacers aswell to widen your track, Get the wheel set out as far as the arches will allow she'll look savage, do worry about the wheel bearings, I've never heard of spacers causing a problem on scooby! (That's my next mod)
Dan

First of all, the Impreza suffers from understeer, not oversteer. What generally happens, is that a driver goes too fast into a corner, and understeer occours, then lifts the throttle. Weight is transferred to the front, and the rear gets light. If your Impreza oversteers, with a standard set-up, then you have something wrong.

The Whiteline rear ARB, adjustable at 22mm is very good, and allows the rear to move around in a controlled manner. This makes the car corner flatter, and keeps the front wheels planted better, therefore allowing better corner exit speed. Adjusting the rear bar is very easy. 3 holes, the hole nearest the bar = stiffest. Start at the softest and work toward the stiffer setting as your confidance grows.

The ALK, adds castor to the front wheels. Adding Castor angle, plants the inside front wheel better on the road, allowing better grip, and better corner speed. It also cause's "camber gain" in turning, which is also a good thing.

The Impreza should not be lowered more than 30mm, unless other modifications are done. Lowering a car, lowers the centre og gravity, so the car corners better. It also lowers the Roll Centre. The roll centre is ususlly lowered more than the centre og gravity, and when the distance between these two point's increase, it has a negative effect on handleing. I can go into the science of it, but I would be here all day, and bore you to death. Another negative effect of going very low, is bump steer. This is when, as the wheel moves up and down, it steers slightly, which, on a bumpy road, at high speed, can make a driver very nervous. To counteract this, we can use a Roll Centre Correction Kit from Whiteline. This consists of a pair of bottom ball joints and track rod ends, which have offset centre's that increase the height of the Roll Centre, and reduce the distance between the Centre of Gravity, and the Roll Centre.

Spacers on the wheels can add track width, but can put more strain on wheel bearing, but they are usually up to it on an Impreza. Always make sure that the rear track is narrower than the front, as if not, a car can become unstable at high speed, or exiting a high speed corner.

We have most of these parts in stock at all times, and if not, a few days later.

John

thanks lads for the help..... think its too late to send st.nick another xmas list :lol: :lol:...... so ill have to sort these in january. cheers :thumbsup:

My appologies Johnny i put in oversteer instead of understeer....iam sure we all knew thats what i meant....just a typing error.... :thumbsup:

[quote author=Scoobyke link=topic=11388.msg136865#msg136865 date=1229370033]
My appologies Johnny i put in oversteer instead of understeer....iam sure we all knew thats what i meant....just a typing error.... :thumbsup:
[/quote]

No bother, but some people do complain that they do oversteer for the same reason I said above,

John

In mine I have tein mono flex coilovers, whiteline droplinks all round, whiteline rear ARB(22mm) and the Whiteline ALK.

Worth every penny :icon_headbang: :icon_headbang: :icon_headbang:

Back